Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Finished Paper

I have finally finished my essay that counts for 10% of my AB2 exams that officially start in 2 weeks time. Even after the massive amounts of typing, I'm back, sitting in front of a screen, typing endless paragraphs.

This is mostly because no one is on Facebook to talk to me (in all fairness it's not quite 9am yet for the East Coast).

I'm going to be missing Thanksgiving and I'm terribly sad :( but there has been an offer from a group of people here to have a Thanksgiving like dinner. This roughly translated is will be a dinner of turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy where I spend the entire duration of it explaining the origins of Thanksgiving and current traditions. I may just read over the wiki article on it and then just recite it.

Fun is going to be explaining the all important day of Black Friday. There was a brief mention the other day about how some Americans will go and collect vouchers (coupons) and keep every one they find and then take piles of them to the store to buy products at reduced prices. After this, me and another American with the same name, sat and giggled about how just by seeing the words "Clearance" or "Sale" we have to immediately go and look through to see if there is something that we absolutely must have but really don't need.

Should be interesting how they view Americans after I mention that people have died in the frenzies to get through the doors at 3 in the morning. As I stay home that day of the year, I play absolutely no part in changing their view of us (unlike certian others things I could do but don't to freak them out).

With my exam coming quickely I'm working my way through my notes, trying to figure out how I will remember all of this. The good news is that once I'm finished, I will have a few days off and most of my class are taking trips to other places (so I should hopefully have the flat to myself!!!). There is a winter carnivel in the center of Edinburgh that lasts from the end of November until the beginning of January and I think that I will uses those few days of absolute freedom to go ice skating, visit vendors, and take a spin on the ferris wheel to enjoy the tons of lights that are currently being put up in the Princes street gardens. I will take tons of pictures, because I'm sure that it should be quite a sight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment