Monday, September 26, 2011

Banking in the UK is #@%$!!!!

Here is another tale of my banking experience so far in the UK.

From previously mentioned, I received my ATM/Debit card 3-4 days before I received my PIN number by mail and a week before I received a cheque (check) book. This of course meant that I could not access my account until about a week after I opened the account.

When I make cheque (check) deposits they take 3 banking days to complete (which is Monday through Friday, no Saturday).

The bank sent me a notice through the mail that they were unable to get a hold of me so I should call them (but they got a hold of me by mail...) and I think the phone number that I gave person who opened my account put it into the system wrong...

When I go to check my account online, I must enter a 9 digit account number ID that has absolutely no reference or meaning to me and TWO passwords, but the second one I have to enter in only the letters/numbers that they ask for (so I may have to put in the 2nd, 6th, and 9th of my password for ex.).

Did I mention that my PIN is assigned to me and if I want a new on they will send me a new random number?

And here is what I found out today (you'll love this):

I have a daily spending limit.

Seriously. It's like my parent's granting me allowance but my parents were never this cruel. They never said to me "I know you paid for your airline tickets, but because you went over your daily limit you have to wait several days before you can use more of your money on silly things like food. But until then, you can look at it online once you go through the 15 hurdles just to check."

The system is awful. I miss Bank of America <3 It's sad and pathetic that I can admit that.

3 comments:

  1. can you cash a check instead of depositing it? would that be part of your allowance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't want to cash checks that were for several thousand pounds... That could have led to a mugging...

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH that sounds horrible. I'm going to my bank to hug a cashier and thank her tearfully.

    ReplyDelete