Friday, August 5, 2011

Take Off, Landing, Extreme Tiredness, and Edinburgh Castle

Hopefully I will cover everything I've done since the last post with pictures included and the title is the quick synopsis of everything so far. So read on for more or just take it at face value and give up on all my lovely pictures (most of which are just going to be on Facebook anyways).

Pre-Depature:
We drove approximately 3 hours to the Newark airport and was nearly run down by a few New Jersey drivers (not to say all NJ drivers are insane, just, apparently, most people on the same road as us). My mother was having issues with them but luckily for her I could read the directions for her and look for signs allowing her to be able to navigate through the chaos.

I would like everyone to know I made it through security without problem (i.e. did not need extensive searching because I look like trouble) and I could relax after that. Hung around the airport for a bit, ate dinner and waited for the flight.

Flight:

We left on time and me and my mom sat in the last row and I got a window seat!! Love window seats. With this being my first transatlantic flight I got the video in the back of the seat which included movies, tv shows, games, music, and a map showing where you were on your flight. Started with Rio(cute movie) and got dinner. Then watched Big Bang Theory ("I said thusly!") Thor (wished there was more to the fight scenes) and another Big Bang Theory (*Wall says 'Die Sheldon Die'* Sheldon: "You might want to repaint."). No, I did not sleep because I have been staying up late and sleeping in. I did get to see the sunrise out the window of the plane as we flew over the ocean.







As well as the sun rising in the west (aka behind the plane) and Ireland.
Ok, technically speaking, Ireland is on the horizon somewhere. We flew north of it so I really didn't see it, but it's one of those cheer for Ireland as you pass by it deals. Mostly I took this picture for my dear friend Michelle.

Arrival:
Arrived and went through customs (had to remind my mother that the US was not going to be as easy to get into as pretty much any other country) and me and my luggage (all hundred pounds worth of checked baggage) made it to Scotland. We hopped from bus to bus and got severely lost before finally reaching our hotel (nearly 4 hours after the flight landed).

Sights:

Because it is the big festival season, there are tons of people and things going on. Day 1 has only a few pictures because it was raining and I was suffering a lot from not getting any sleep.I had to take a nap in the middle of the day in order to make it to the evening at all. Day 2 with a lot of sleep and the sun shining we started again. I have a new phone with a UK number (that I was able to find on the packaging thanks to Wikipedia) and it has the most adorable kitten for a background.
For the travelers, in certain places there are directions painted on the street for crossing into traffic. 
We also walked through the Princes Street gardens making our way to the castle.




We did enter the castle (there are more pictures but I think I'll just put them on Facebook).





One of the noted things is the sizes of things.This is the picture of a tiny chapel (and the oldest building in the castle) and it's entry way. The entry way is maybe 5'8" (keep in mind me and my mother are 5'10") and there are several other entry ways of similar heights.
The next is a picture of my mother standing next to the wall (we had difficulty looking over it).
So I'm assuming the Scottish military really couldn't stand next to the wall and see what was coming...

Next is a picture of a carving in a prison door from the Revolutionary War (where some American POW's were kept in the castle). If you are not sure of what it is, it's a tiny American flag! It is attached to a ship but you can't really make it out.

 When you enter into the Great Hall of the castle you are greeted with lots of fancy things to exhibit wealth and then this portrait. I'm not really sure what this is depicting other than one man stabbing another man through the head...
This is Bob (yes he is named). Bob was once an alive and kicking little dog that was a beloved pet of the military. He was so beloved, that at his death he was stuffed. My father wants to do the same with his little dog...
 The following is an 'enter your caption here' photo. I took this picture of a print that is hanging in one of the castle museums. The plaque hanging next to it did not give any clues as to what is being witnessed in this scene other than a Scottish military man lifting his kilt and all the ladies gathering round (and making faces...). I would assume he is meaning to carry the fruit he is purchasing in some hidden compartment underneath his kilt???
 One of the castle's dinning areas had a name that belongs in the UK...

 After leaving the castle we wandered around Old Town. Here's one of the sights: an innocent looking building...

 But closer up reveals another thing... lol
 Note the falling angel in to the flames of hell.

We also found Cowsgate.
 And these giraffes that must be 10-11 feet tall.
Tomorrow I move into my room!

2 comments:

  1. YAY IRELAND!!!!!!

    everything looks so pretty and clean.
    Have you hit your head on a ceiling yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nearly so, but mostly it has been in any part of the city that was built back before hygiene when every one had scurvy or the plague... Have noticed quite a few rather tall men (not that I'm checking out the local cuisine or anything ;) ). I passed one guy who was easily about a foot taller than men and a ginger...

    ReplyDelete