Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Video Number Two!

I realize that I have promised a great deal of things in the past week. But I feel that I can deliver on one thing: A mini video of my campus!!
Here it is! Set to a little bit of music (which if you don't like you can mute- crazy option), and with a few captions to boot this is the first part of a look around my school.
Let me attempt to better explain what all the pictures/videos contain:

Firstly the skulls: In the dissection room we have a bunch of cases of skulls, skeletons, and anatomical things and this one in particular is a case full of the different skulls of different breeds. The first two are chihuahua and pekinese and you can also determine the boxer (for the large under bite) from the mix. And finishing the clip is a giraffe skull- a real life giraffe skull.

Following this is a bunch of photos of things that can be seen from the window of the bus (hence the blurry, reflected photos). Don't let the photos fool you- it's not all country side from my flat to the campus, but when you get to just about where the campus is there are more farms. The call the campus 'the Bush' for short instead of Easter Bush which kinda makes me think this is some sort of inside joke about the outback... Also, the 'hedge': almost every home has some sort of fence/wall/hedge surrounding it. I'm working on documenting some of them and I'll come back to this at another time.

The Roslin Building: This is the big research building housing the people who brought you Dolly the Sheep. I think the glass mosaic half of this building looks cool, and from the sky this building is in the shape of a chromosome (what nerds).

The old building: I believe this was the old building that made up the Easter Bush campus. The actual old teaching building is next to where I live (and the dissection room is a bar now that actually kinda looks pretty cool with these crazy morphed animals that I will get pictures of).

The Equestrian 'Sheds': They are not really sheds, but state of the art indoor facilities of the equine and farm animal hospital. The 'Sheds' came from my reception to the school where the Equine professor got a little bothered (jokingly) over the small animal professor calling his state of the art facilities sheds or barns.

Actually the Equine Professor is my director of studies (similar to an adviser).

The Veterinary Hospital: Massive!! Yes, that entire building is devoted to the animal hospital and they have a ton of rooms in there!!

The Teaching Building (Finally): I showed two pictures of the front of the building (I kinda took them quickly sorry). This is the new building that everyone talks about and we are the first class in! It'll officially be opened in September although it is currently being used. This is the most state of the art Vet School in the world (until someone rebuilds their school).

The Elevator and William Dick: The elevator is clear glass with the University of Edinburgh logo on it and next to it is the statue of William Dick, founder of the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Medicine (does it make sense now?). We were told, he started as a farrier and then went to Vet School in London in the time when it was a 6 month program (this gets discussed among the class- the pros and cons of being able to get out in 6 months). He then founded the first Vet School in Scotland along with his sister. This statue was outside the old teaching building location.

The Stained Glass:  It was donated to the classes of the old teaching building by the classes from the first teaching building back when they building the old teaching building (and it was new). As to keep a part of the history of the school at the new place, they moved the windows and displayed them across from William Dick himself (who is also pictured in the middle of one of them).

The First Floor: Here they refer to what we would call the first floor as the ground floor and the next floor up is the first floor. So there are 3 floors in the new building: Ground Floor (entrance), First Floor, and Second Floor. Another example: I live in flat 7 in a section of the building that only has 2 flats per floor. So ground floor has 1 and 2 (which the guys conveniently live in I've noticed...) and first floor has 3 and 4, etc. So 7 is on the 3rd floor or to us would be the fourth floor (there are a lot of stairs).

The Study Landscape: A section of the library (all study rooms and the library are on ultra quiet :) so excited!) and this one in particular has a horse and cow to practice halters, lead ropes, blankets, wraps, quick releases, etc. I think the cow is adorable (and she isn't really named Maylene...).

The View: Is the name of the cafeteria. Foods not half bad and the chairs are pretty comfy but there are these rolly cubes that you sit on like stools that are interesting.

Lecture Theater: Most of the time I have lectures/classes in a standard classroom but occasionally when more space is needed we will use one of the two lecture theaters (they are both identical but face back to back of each other) or if there are too many people the second can be used as an overflow to view what is happening in the first room. There are plugs for everyone that is in the theater so everyone can bring a laptop to a lecture.

Dissection Rooms: The one in the video is one used to watch a post-mordem (usually for cow or horse and the table in there is enormous). There are several tv's that view what a movable camera is pointed at if the professor showing wants to point out something small. Stadium style seating on carpet kinda reminds me of kindergarten story time in the library though...

Student Room: I actually just found this today. Foosball, air hockey, and pool table, tv, tables, and sink with cupboards.

The chicken: This is the second apperance of someone's range chicken at the school. She likes to kick up the dirt that is nice manicured around the trees in the front. I like her. And she makes me miss Nugget, Henrietta, Rowdy, Bones, Dove, and Bling.

More to come but it was a long day of learning and my brain hurts. But before I go, my pin came today so no throwing a fit in the bank and I was able to withdraw money from the atm and purchase ice cream (among other things).

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen a necropsy yet (there or at AU)? lol, my first one was a poor little lamb, and I swooned so badly that I ran into a doorframe on my way out. Love the video. The college looks pretty great - sounds like you are having a good semester so far! :)

    ReplyDelete