Thursday, December 8, 2011

December and Christmas

Hello All!! Christmas is fast aproaching and I will be returning to the states in less than 12 days!! Sweet!! But while everyone looks forward to my return, here's something to keep you going :)

Let's start out with everyone's favorite thing: Snow. Yes, it has finally begun to snow in Edinburgh. It started early Sunday morning and has had a few light snow falls through this week.




As you can imagine, temperatures have dropped. It's now in the low 40's. I've already gotten a few snowballs out (to someone who deserved a cold ice ball thrown at them).

And speaking of weather, I had the afternoon off thanks to 90mph winds. They closed the school at noon today (although I left earlier because I didn't have a lecture at 11). It was a wind day. Snow is predicted to tonight (with anywhere from 4 inches to a foot) and so we shall see if I have classes tomorrow. If the buses do not run, I cannot attend classes.

And to keep myself busy (when I'm not being blown away), is the Christmas Market (also heard it called the German Market but I don't know why it's called that so don't ask). I've been several times and will mostly likely be back several more times. Most of my money will go towards food (Crepes will empty my pockets very quickly) although I've already been around the ferris wheel twice and still hoping to go ice skating at some point. I've started a video of clips and pics I've taken on my trips there. It's long, rough, un-edited and will most likely have more added to it the future. But as a start, here it is:

Note: It would appear that the video will not upload. I shall try again tomorrow.

I also attended my first pantomime. It's a traditional kid's show in the UK, where they take a classic children's tale (the one I saw was Cinderella) and perform it as a comedy usually with men dressing up as some of the female roles. I loved it. I didn't get all of the jokes (because some referenced cultural things I haven't come across yet). They also include songs (such as one performed by Cinderella's mother (who was good and alive in this version and played by a man) who started out by singing a version of "I was driving around town with the boy I love and I was like Forget You."). And the Prince was very very good looking if I may just say.



And so, 12 Days! Maybe I should post more over the next two weeks? Like a countdown thing? IDK, we'll see. :)

1 comment: